Saturday, December 31, 2016


File this under strange things you find while searching for your family in old newspapers!

Bangor Daily Whig and Courier, Monday, December 29, 1873, p. 1, accessed April 25, 2015

"A child in Lyndon, eleven months old, a short time since swallowed a large needle, nearly two inches long, and in less than eight days, during which time it was very fretful, the head of the needle was discovered sticking through the child's abdomen, and was successfully removed by its mother. The child is now all right."

 I can't imagine how awful this must have been for the poor child and for the mother.