Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Tombstone Tuesday - Samuel Akley

Samuel Akley (name is also spelled Akeley or Ackley) was a Revolutionary War veteran. In 2014, I wrote about his military service. He is buried in the Rumford Center Cemetery in Maine and he is my 5th great-grandfather. Here are some pictures from my recent visit to the cemetery.
Grave with marker & flag


Grave with marker

Grave with decoration moved
Epitaph

The epitaph is difficult to read as the stone needs to be cleaned. I believe it is a variation of this phrase. It seems to match except for the first two words. 

Remember me as you pass by
As you are now, so once was I
As I am now, so you must be
Prepare for death and follow me

Samuel Ackley
William Ackley
Sarah (Ackley) Abbott
Mary Jane (Abbott) Capen
Edward Abbott Capen
Fannie (Capen) Carter
T. Richard Carter - my grandfather

No comments:

Post a Comment