Friday, February 21, 2014
52 Ancestors - #3 Christopher Grant
Christopher Grant is my 8th great-grandfather through my grandfather, Thomas Richard Carter.
He was deposed on April 6, 1658 and gave his age as 48 years old so he was born in England about 1610. He dies in Watertown, Massachusetts in September 1685. He came to Watertown in 1634 and he worked as a glazier as noted by the fact that records show he reglazed the Watertown meetinghouse windows multiple times.
Based on the birth of the first child, Christopher Grant married a woman named Mary by 1634 and the couple had eight children - all born in Watertown, Massachusetts.
1. Abigail b. February 6, 1634/5; married Roger Rose in late 1660.
2. Joshua b. June 11, 1637; married Sarah Beckwith about 1670.
3. Caleb b. September 8, 1639; married Mary.
4. Benjamin b. September 6, 1641; married Mary Beckwith, sister of Sarah, who married his brother Joshua.
5. Sarah b. February 1, 1642/3; married twice, 1) Samuel Seaverns on February 23, 1665/6 in Charlestown, MA. 2) Thomas Silvester by November 27, 1696.
6. Joseph b. September 28, 1646; married Mary Grafton (or Graffam).
7. Mary b. abt. 1648; married Daniel Smith on February 22, 1667(8?).
8. Christopher b. abt. 1650 and d. November 4, 1694; does not appear to have married.
Mary Frances Stanley
Edward Mellen Carter
Thomas Richard Carter - my grandfather
The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Volumes I-III. (Online database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2010), (Originally Published as: New England Historic Genealogical Society. Robert Charles Anderson, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Volumes I-III, 3 vols., 1995).