Enoch's second wife was Abigail Wight. According to the Ware Genealogy, she was born in Wrentham, Massachusetts on May 31, 1767 to Joseph & Abigail (Ware) Wight. Her parents were also early settlers of Otisfield.
Enoch Spurr fought in the Revolutionary War and his pension file states that he was at the Battle of Monmouth, wintered at Valley Forge, and was present for the surrender of General Cornwallis.
Enoch and Abigail are buried in the Cedar Crest Cemetery in Otisfield, Maine. I visited on April 21, 2016 and found that his stone continues to degrade. Another picture from a few years ago can be found on his Findagrave memorial.
Children of Enoch & Abigail (Wight) Spurr
- Martha Druce Spurr was born on September 12, 1789 and died on March 27, 1831. She married James Cheever on December 8, 1822.
- Roxana Spurr was born on February 29, 1792 and died on February 10, 1863. She married Edward Stanley on November 2, 1815.
- Abigail Spurr was born on March 5, 1794 and died on February 20, 1871. She married George W. Longley on March 2, 1826.
- Ann Spurr (twin of Abigail) died on December 28, 1873. She married Abel Longley on March 21, 1815.
- Margaret T. Spurr was born on July 15, 1796 and died on May 9, 1870. She married James Wight.
- Lydia Spurr was born on August 14, 1798 and died on November 25, 1870. She married Louis Jewel.
- Mary Spurr was born on August 15, 1800 and died on December 8, 1891. She never married.
- Enoch Spurr, Jr. was born on August 6, 1802 and died on November 3, 1883.
- Betsey Spurr was born on December 27, 1805 and died on January 6, 1889. She married Samuel Scribner on September 22, 1830.
- Sophronia Spurr was born on February 4, 1807 and married David L. Perley on October 27, 1885.
Enoch & Abigail (Wight) Spurr
Roxana (Spurr) Stanley
Mary Frances (Stanley) Carter
Edward Mellen Carter
T. Richard Carter - my grandfather
Revolutionary War Service
His parents journey to Maine
Information on Abigail (Ware) Spurr from Ware genealogy: Robert Ware, of Dedham, Massachusetts, 1642-1699, and his lineal descendants. Boston, Mass.: Charles H. Pope, 1901.
Information on Enoch Spurr from: Spurr, William Samuel. A History of Otisfield: Cumberland County, Maine from the Original Grant to the Close of the Year 1944. Otisfield, Me., Otisfield Historical Society, 1994. PDF.