Friday, June 28, 2013

Funny Friday - The Monkey Was Too Popular

I was searching GenealogyBank newspapers for articles about my first cousin 4 times removed, Freeman Yates. He was a temperance advocate who traveled the country speaking for the cause. Apparently his name was the same as the one adopted by an Italian organ grinder because I came across this snippet in the Kansas City Star from Sunday, May 15, 1910.







"The Monkey Was Too Popular"
"And an Organ Grinder Was Arrested for Obstructing Traffic"
"Freeman Yates, an Italian organ grinder with an Americanized name, was arrested yesterday afternoon at Eighth Street and Grand Avenue because the crowd that gathered to hear his music and watch his monkey interfered with traffic.
When he was searched at police headquarters the jailers found $13.85. Yates and the monkey were placed in the holdover until the money was counted and then released on a bond of $11."

                                                   


2 comments:

  1. I loved this one! I just found an organ grinder "hurdy gurdy man" in my new son-in-law's ancestry. I feel a blog post coming. I don't know (yet) if he had a monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GET OUT OF FINANCIAL MESS WITH THE HELP OF drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    I have been in financial mess for the past months, I’m a single mum with kids to look after. My name is REBECCA MICHAELSON, and am from Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about DR BENJAMIN OWEN FINANCE of drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com that he can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. She advised, I gave it a try because she and some of her colleagues were rescued too by this Godsent lender with loans to revive their dying businesses and paying off bills. so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation and therefore took me through the loan process which was very brief and easy. After that my loan application worth $278,000.00USD was granted, all i did was to follow the processing and be cooperative and today I am a proud business owner sharing the testimony of God-sent Lender. You can as well reach him through the Company Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH

    ReplyDelete