Sunday, May 11, 2014

52 Ancestors #16 - John Emery



John Emery is my 11th great-grandfather on my dad's side and my 12th great-grandfather on my mother's side. He came from Romsey, Hampshire, England on the James in 1635 and settled in Newbury, Massachusetts. He was a carpenter and an innkeeper. I wrote about John Emery, his wife Alice Grantham, and Downton Abbey in March 2013. John Emery married second, Mary (Shatswell) Webster, daughter of John & Judith Shatswell and widow of John Webster. 


On May 5, 1663, John Emery was in court because he was accused of entertaining Quakers . He was presented by the constable, Henry Jaques, "for as much as John Emerie, Sr. is one of our grand jury men this last year for our town of Newbury and he himself having broken the law as I do understand in entertaining of travellers and quakers into his house and and one Mr. Greenland in all which disorder he have boldly insisted whereby reproach and scandal is to come upon our town to the dishonor of God and damage and hurt to some of your neighbors." 

Quakers were banished from Massachusetts and faced serious consequences if they returned. One of the more famous cases was that of Mary Dyer. I wrote about my ancestor, Humphrey Atherton's role in her case in March 2012. The tension between Quakers and Puritans is explained on this web site.

The children of John & Alice (Grantham) Emery:

  1. Alice Emery was born about 1622 and married John Chater. 
  2. Eleanor Emery was baptized on November 7, 1624 in Romsey and died in 1700. She married John Bailey and had ten children. I have lines of descent from two daughters.
  3. John Emery, Jr. was baptized on February 3, 1628/29 in Romsey and died November 3, 1683 in Newbury, Massachusetts. He married my 9th great-aunt, Mary Whipple. 
  4. Anne Emery was baptized on March 18, 1632/33 in Romsey and married James Ordway. 
The children of John & Mary (Shatswell) (Webster) Emery: 
  1. Ebenezer Emery (a girl) was born on September 14, 1648 and married John Hoag. 
  2. Jonathan was born on May 13, 1652 and married Mary Woodman. 

John Emery
Eleanor Emery
Sarah Bailey - Sister of Rebecca Bailey
Eleanor Cheney
John Safford
Ruth Safford
Martha Haskell
Mary "Sally" Houghton
Florilla Dunham
Nina King Ellingwood
Annie Florilla Gibbs
Fern Lyndell Cotton - my grandmother

Rebecca Bailey
Ruth Brown
Isaac Rogers
Rebecca Rogers
Stephen Blaisdell
Susannah Blaisdell
Stephen Blaisdell Rowe
Charles H. N. Rowe
Anna J. Rowe
Eva Delphinia Hayes
Linona Alice Yates


1 comment:

  1. I'm printing this one out! I descend from John Emery's brother, Anthony Emery (1601-1680) I had some of the information on John, but now I can fill in more dates. Your post was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete