Tuesday, April 12, 2016

John T. Abbott - Tombstone Tuesday

Capen Cemetery, Bethel, Maine
John T. Abbott was the son of John & Sarah (Ackley) Abbott, born on April 13, 1845, and died on August 30, 1867. He was my 2X great-granduncle. He died at the age of 22 in New Orleans, Lousiana. Findagrave says the died during the Civil War, but that cannot be true since the Civil War ended in 1865. Records I've found indicate that he mustered into Captain John B. Walker's Company I, Fifth Regiment Infantry, Maine Volunteers on June 24, 1864, and later transferred to the Signal Corps. The tombstone says he died "while in the Naval Service." I'd love to find out more about his service and the circumstances of his death. This stone stands in the Capen Cemetery in Bethel, Maine, but I'm not sure if his body was actually brought from Louisiana to Maine for burial.

John & Sarah (Ackley) Abbott - parents of John T. Abbott
Mary Jane (Abbott) Capen - sister of John T. Abbott
Fannie May (Capen) Carter
T. Richard Carter - my grandfather

No comments:

Post a Comment